Vacancy – Operations Manager
Hours: Full time (flexible working pattern to include some evenings and weekends)
About the Charity
In 1998 the Charity’s founders created Children with Cancer Fund (CWCF); they always wanted to keep the charity LOCAL and PERSONAL and 18 years on it is still both of these, but bigger than they ever dreamt it would become.
Over the 18 years they have seen the positive impact it has had on the lives of the families the charity supports as well as the community nurses from the hospitals and other services that support children with a diagnosis of cancer.
They increased their commitment to the families they were supporting by putting on more day’s out & activities as well as attending local events for fundraising. The charity further expanded its scale by supporting families further afield in Brighton & Hove. This culminated in being awarded the prestigious Queen’s Award for Voluntary Services in June 2015.
Having shown its value to families and the organisations that represent them all year round the Trustees plan to invest in creating a long-term sustainable organisation. The most essential investment to be made is in an Operations Manager with a view to replacing the founders who have been acting CEO for the past 18 years. It is hoped that the introduction of this new position will bring additional skills, new thinking and renewed energy to the organisation. For the revitalised organisation to have the best chance of success, appropriate infrastructure and skills will be needed as well as the ability to create and deliver an improved and extended response. It is recognised that short/medium term commitments/plans need to be funded by existing reserves and that additional resources will be needed to fulfil the full ambitions of the operational plan and there will be a focus on fundraising from a variety of sources for both current and future year.
This role will be responsible for developing an infrastructure within which the Charity can deliver its 2016, and beyond, objectives. It will be a wide ranging role encompassing ‘back office’ functions as well as supporting the operations of the organisation. It will be instrumental in ensuring a passionate, enthusiastic, consistent and quality service to those coming into contact with the Charity.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Charity including office space, facilities and resources
- Provide IT, HR, payroll and finance support either directly or by managing 3rdparty providers
- Maximising the effectiveness and efficiency of the website and database either directly or by managing 3rdparty providers and volunteers
- Work with the Trustees to ensure appropriate governance by; developing and managing policies and procedures; ensuring compliance with statutory requirements (filings, returns etc.); reporting on activities; setting up, coordinating and taking minutes of meetings;
- Induct, train and manage the office team and volunteers including creating processes, guidelines and strategies for them to provide a quality service
- Research and identify appropriate events where the Charity should be represented to raise its awareness and develop contacts with existing & for future growth
- Build and maintain relationships with national organisations to promote and support the Charity. i.e Royal Marsden and other Hospitals, Clic Sargent, Chestnut Tree House, Demelza James.
- In conjunction with the Trustees draw up a plan for each year, including a budget and funding sources
- Take responsibility for co-ordinating resources and volunteers specifically during the autumn/winter, which is the peak delivery phase
- Ensure targeted and relevant social media and marketing is maintained throughout the year
Skills Profile Essential
- Excellent business, financial and management skills
- Genuine interest in supporting our community and the Charity’s vision and purpose
- Knowledge of Charity governance
- Proven success in applying for and receiving grants and donation income
- Experience of working with volunteers and third parties
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent IT and internet skills
- Good networking skills
- Energetic and enthusiastic with a belief in continuous improvement
- Organised, patient and reliable
- High level of personal integrity and confidentiality
Skills Profile Desirable
- Knowledge of and experience with social media marketing
- Ability to create copy for use across all media
You must be eligible to work in the UK, be flexible over working hours and have the ability to travel within East Sussex, Brighton and Hove.
Closing Date: Midday 3rd October 2016
To apply: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or post to:
5 Western Avenue, Polegate, East Sussex. BN26 6EP and include a CV and covering text indicating your salary expectations (circa £26k).